Western Red Cedar trim boards come in three surface finishes: rough; surfaced one side, two edges (S1S2E); or surfaced four sides (S4S).
- Rough Boards have a rough sawn texture from either circular or band saws is present on all four sides.
- Surfaced One Side, Two Edges (S1S2E) is a versatile product that is the most popular choice for trim boards. The surfacing process resulting in a rough sawn face and a smooth back that provides uniform width and thickness tolerances. Typically graded from the rough face, but it may also be reversible to the smooth back.
- Surfaced Four Sides (S4S or PAR, D4S) has a smooth surface on all four sides and is a uniformly sized product with a quality appearance. This surface finish is most commonly found on Clear grades.
- #3&Btr Common S1S2E 7/8″ KD WRC (1×4 – 1×12)
- Std&Btr NPS S1S2E 3/4″ Green WRC (1×4 – 1×12)
- STK 10/15% Quality S1S2E 23/32″ KD WRC (1×4-1×12)